Making Old School New Again: Priere

Chunky platforms, bloomers peeking out the bottom of a skirt, yards upon yards of lace, lacy headdresses tied under the chin—all things we tend to think of when we reminisce about what Lolita used to be. But what if it was all back again, and with an updated look that was cutting edge and even trendy? That's exactly what Japanese indie brand Priere is doing!

Priere Japanese Antique Doll Fashion Old School Harajuku

Taking inspiration from antique dolls, Yukarin of Priere has created an angelic vision that harkens back to what Lolita was in the 90's, as well as the Victorian revival of the 1970's that brands like Gunne Sax popularized. Japanese pop culture is experiencing some serious 90's nostalgia at the moment (perhaps all the 1980's Fairy Kei girls have grown up and the girls who grew up in the 1990's are taking their place as queens of street fashion?) and is coming up with ways to reinvent the looks of the decade in fresh new ways. 

Priere Japanese Antique Doll Fashion Old School Harajuku

Perhaps the best way to make coordinates like this cutting edge is the way they're styled, gone are the bare faces and simple hair of early Lolita, and in their place are the currently trendy looks that seem to borrow heavily from moe pop culture. High bright blush, berry red lips, and flawlessly natural looking hair, often with professionally dyed unnatural colors, give a finished look to the old fashioned layered dresses.

Priere Japanese Antique Doll Fashion Old School Harajuku

One thing I particularly love about this brand's stylings is the use of mixed off-whites, with only touches of brown or gold, and yet most of the looks are paired with darker shoes, something that was very frequently seen in old Lolita street snaps. I think that the pairing of lighter frilly dresses with dark shoes has such an endearing look, and reminds me so much of sepia toned antique photographs of little Victorian children.

Priere Japanese Antique Doll Fashion Old School Harajuku

While Priere is not a Lolita brand, the aesthetics are very similar and I think that anyone interested in Lolita, particularly the current Classic Lolita trends, can find a lot of inspiration from this up-and-coming designer. The bell sleeves, the peeking bloomers, the layers of sheer lace, these are all things that elicit a strong sense of nostalgia from most Lolitas who've been in the fashion for a while, or even new Lolitas who know their roots, and it's exciting to see a new designer put a fresh face on the older designs.

Priere Japanese Antique Doll Fashion Old School Harajuku

Priere is a very new line and currently only has an Instagram with the promise of a future webshob. But you can also follow Yukarin's personal Twitter and Instagram for more. Tokyo Fashion also features an interview with Yukarin here.


23 comments:

  1. I quite like the styling of these photoshoots!
    Beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  2. I adore this look! I am waiting to try it out ^^

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how it almost gives an OTT feel to oldschool things. I'd probably get pieces from them, if they had an online shop. :)

    http://cupcakes-and-unicorns.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I see a lot of Mori, Natural, and Dolly kei elements in here, which I REALLY like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, I absolutely love this look! It's not for my dark soul personally but it's very old school, vintage and very Cult Party Kei. I hope to see a revival in that look then :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so inspiring! I love the mixture of off whites and lace, it makes you really focus on texture. I love that it reminds me of Lolita, Mori Girl, Dolly Kei and Cult Party Kei all at once. I'd love to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this and I'm pleased that you are posting again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a stunning collection! I would love to see an oldschool revival, there's something beautifully haunting about it. In my personal style I try to incorporate oldschool elements - I'd rather look like a slightly unsettling antique doll than a princess in frills, but that's just me :)

    http://dulcet-doll.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Personally, I admire this look. It's expensive, and very delicate, and probably really hard to coordinate with! I know, I personally could never pull something like this off though, both due to price and my overall light skin colour. I would look like a ghost since I'm so pale! I always also used to admire white lolita styles, angelic looks, really. I had ONE bodyline angelic dress, I can't remember the print, it's been so long.. I simply looked like a ghost walking around. Omg.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I followed up on Priere from this blog post and they finally opened up a webshop! Please add the link: http://priere.fashionstore.jp

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just was wondering if you wanted to collaborate with me!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. dự án chung cư vinhomes nguyễn trãi là một quần thể đô thị hiện đại chung cu vinhomes nguyen trai được trang bị nội thất tinh tế thiết kế vinhomes nguyễn trãi sang trọng vinhomes nguyen trai đẳng cấp kết hợp cùng tiện nghi vinhome nguyen trai cao cấp vinhome nguyễn trãi là điểm đến lý tưởng vincom nguyen trai đầy đủ cho người tiêu dùng vincom nguyễn trãi có bán giày nam các loại giày công sở nam đẹp nhất.Công ty thiết kế nội thất hàng đầu tại hà nội, chuyên thiet ke noi that

    ReplyDelete
  15. Dự án căn hộ chung cư vinhomes nguyễn trãi với những căn hộ hiện đại. Chất lượng vinhomes nguyễn trãi làm nên sự thành công của công trình. Trung tâm thương mại vincom nguyễn trãi với những sản phẩm của thương hiệu nổi tiếng thế giới. Hiện nay chung cu vinhomes nguyen trai đang là điểm đến lý tưởng của nhà đầu tư. Các căn hộ tại vinhomes nguyen trai mang đến tiện nghi và sự an toàn cho các gia đình. vinhome nguyễn trãi với những thuận lợi về vị trí mang đến cho dân cư vinhome nguyen trai những điều kiện thuận lợi nhất để có thể phát triển ổn định.
    Thiết kế website với những mẫu website doanh nghiệp phù hợp với nhu cầu của mọi khách hàng. thiết kế website bán hàng theo tiêu chuẩn tích hợp seo onpage, thiết kế website giá rẻ uy tín

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello! I would like to open cosmetology salon. Do you have an experience in this business? There are too many options in beauty salon equipment. Could you give me an advise? What companies are more reliable to buy 7 in 1 diamond microdermabrasion machine and Microdermabrasion machine professional?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi there my dear! I just want to ask if we can follow each other on GFC?

    Please leave a comment on our blog!

    http://kstylick.blogspot.com

    You can also follow us on Facebook and Instagram.

    https://www.facebook.com/Kstylick
    https://instagram.com/kstylick/

    we will follow you back! XOXO

    Korean Fashion

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love white dress in lolita style!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Angelic fashion + lolita style. Love this brand. :)

    XoXo,
    Cathy | cat keyhole lingerie

    ReplyDelete
  20. Really like this styles!!!! Love in Lolita fashion!!! And I have my own Store~

    Hope you can follow me on Facebook and Instagram.

    https://www.instagram.com/lolilolipop__shop/
    https://www.facebook.com/lolilolipopshopping/?fref=ts

    we will follow you back! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Really like this styles!!!! Love in Lolita fashion!!! And I have my own Store~

    Hope you can follow me on Facebook and Instagram.

    https://www.instagram.com/lolilolipop__shop/
    https://www.facebook.com/lolilolipopshopping/?fref=ts

    we will follow you back! XOXO

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...