Bittersweet Lolita?

I don't frequent the main Lolita community too often, so I'm usually one of the last to know about new trends unless someone tells me. I recently learned about a new (ish?) phrase going around: Bittersweet Lolita. Referring to sweet designs and prints in black. WTF, why can't we just call it Sweet Lolita like we have been? Or even just forget about this new obsession for creating new and wacky labels and just calling it Lolita.

Because the Lolita community tends to revolve around the internet, whether we like it or not, silly things like this always seem to pop up. We need something to label our daily outfit shoots, new interests to add to our profiles, or something we can type into a search engine to fine exactly what we want.

I guess I am what you would call a "Bittersweet Lolita", As I type I'm decked out in Baby's Virgin Mary JSK in black, paired with a cute little Baby bunny eared hooded bolero. My closet is sprinkled througout with the black versions of prints, and if I could afford it, would be bursting full of them. But the term makes me cringe, it has the same ring to it as "Little Big Girl" does, from way back in the day when that was an acceptable alternative term for Lolita. I just don't care for it, for both the phrase and the idea of having to box myself in to not just one style, but one specific color. I'm quite happy just being called Lolita.

8 comments:

  1. I really hate that term. I sometimes use "black sweet" but it's not like I'm aiming to make a whole new subsection of sweet lolita. Soon blue lolita pieces are gonna be "powder sweet" and pink ones "candy sweet" and let's not forget "candy sweet deco" and.. okay, I'm done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only heard that term used by a few people on the comm, so I do not believe it's a popular term at this moment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hate excessive labelling and sub-labelling. Why not just wear what feels good without feeling the need to label yourself? :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I actually don't mind Bittersweet Lolita ... Its like Creepy Cute or Pastel Goth in Lolita ^.^ Too sweet to be Goth but too Goth to be sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bittersweet would make more sense if it hade candy skulls! That sort of thing! That would be cuter! Bittersweet as it exists here just looks pastel goth... But I agree about the label thing you said, too. I'm not even lolita (I wish), but I am interested in many fashion trends. I buy all my clothes from American brands, so... Well, I can't exactly go buying clothes from every Harajuku fashion trend I see, can I?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bittersweet would make more sense if it hade candy skulls! That sort of thing! That would be cuter! Bittersweet as it exists here just looks pastel goth... But I agree about the label thing you said, too. I'm not even lolita (I wish), but I am interested in many fashion trends. I buy all my clothes from American brands, so... Well, I can't exactly go buying clothes from every Harajuku fashion trend I see, can I?

    ReplyDelete
  7. A message from 2016.

    Bittersweet is now being used as a joke, bad joke. Like, "Shut up, Bittersweet. It's not gonna happen"

    I joined Lolita Humor FB group recently. It started out as a good laughing time, but discriminating jokes is increasing everyday.

    I know, majority of Lolita nowadays are just teenage girls. But, is it necessary to "call name" on every single new style that try to steal the light from them? I don't know the purpose of today Lolita anymore.

    Is Lolita still political, innocent, and strong? Why do they choose to wear lolita if they don't wanna change the way main-stream society treat "different people". This is so annoying.


    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...